A Greeter is someone living in Tours who wants to share his or her vision of the city and the surrounding region with visitors from other parts of France and the world. Greeters are people who are open to different cultures and often interested in a particular aspect of local life. They are of all ages and from a wide range of backgrounds.
The Big Apple Greeters were founded in New York in 1992 by Lynn Brooks. She wanted tourists to see New York in a more approachable and unintimidating way with insider tips about New York neighbourhoods, shopping and fun places to dine. That is why she decided to invent a type of tourism that is based on contact with residents of the city.
isn’t a guide. A Greeter is a volunteer
who helps people discover his or her region in an original,
authentic and friendly way
. He or she customizes visits to accommodate a visitor’s special requests and interests. Every visit is different
and above all an opportunity to get visitors and residents together and generate rich human experiences and cultural exchanges
, which is after all the real purpose behind the Greeter idea.
The visit is free of charge and volunteer based
so that the Tours Val de Loire Tourist Office can best match the visitor and Greeter. A request form is completed online for all types of visits. A time and place is then set for the visit.
All Greeters and Greeter destinations share the same core values:
1) Greeters are volunteers, a friendly face for those visiting a city/destination
2) Greeters welcome individuals and may serve small groups of up to six people
3) Meeting a Greeter is free of charge
4) All visitors and volunteers are welcomed without any kind of discrimination.
5) Greeter programs support sustainable tourism. Programs respect natural and man-made environments, bringing both
cultural and economic enrichment to local communities. Programs aim for a lasting positive image of each destination.
6) Greeter programs create a mutually enriching opportunity for cultural exchange; create links between people in creating a